Monese announces next step in global expansion
Monese has announced the next step in its global expansion with the launch of Romanian currency accounts. The new RON account from Monese comes with a Romanian IBAN and Romanian language customer support, a first for a global fintech servicing customers in Romania.
With Monese, customers can open multicurrency accounts within minutes. Using their existing GBP or EUR account, customers can now create a RON account. Or customers can create a RON account and add EUR and GBP. Customers can make free and instant international transfers between Monese customers and their RON, GBP and EUR accounts; receive salaries; as well as make fast, secure local payments in RON, at no extra cost. Romanian citizens anywhere will be able to use their Monese RON card with Apple Pay, globally, wherever Apple Pay is accepted.
Romanian IBANs are provided by Libra Internet Bank, a key partner in the launch of Monese RON accounts. The Romanian IBAN is a huge benefit to customers in Romania. Users in Romania will be able to receive their salary, handle domestic payments, and make safe online purchases in the local currency. Monese’s RON account is an ideal choice for Romanians, international students, workers, travelers or retirees.
Monese accounts are available in three pricing plans, with tailored, fee-free, allowances for global ATM withdrawals and foreign currency spending – ideal for customers who love to travel and those who love contactless payments and Apple Pay. All accounts also come with a contactless Mastercard debit card in Monese’s vertical design.
Norris Koppel, founder and CEO of Monese, said: “We’re very excited to be launching Romanian accounts today, bringing our ambition to become a truly global banking service one step closer. Unlike many of our peers, Monese customers are using as a primary banking account, with 70% of incoming funds being salary payments. This new currency provision will enable customers to have a primary account in more countries, transfer money simply and securely, providing a truly localized banking experience, wherever they’re based. “
All Monese RON accounts provide customers with Romanian IBANs, along with:
Contactless Mastercard debit card (RON 19.95 standard delivery fee on the Simple Plan, or free delivery of the first card on the Classic plan and free delivery for any card on the Premium Plan)
- Free and instant transfers between RON, EUR or GBP accounts
- Free and instant transfers between Monese accounts globally (in any currency)
- Free and instant debit card top-ups (in any currency)
- Fee-free global ATM withdrawals (RON 1,000/month fee-free allowance on Monese’s Simple plan, as minimum)
- Fee-free global foreign currency card allowance (RON 10,000/month fee-free allowance on Monese’s Simple plan, as minimum)
- The Monese apps and the Customer Support team are accessible in 14 languages, including Romanian
- Apple Pay
- Recurring payments
- The ability to lock and unlock cards from within the Monese app
- Instant mobile notifications when spending or receiving money
- On-demand statements that can be easily exported
- Monese Pots for setting savings aside
Over 2 million people have signed up to Monese, with customer growth more than tripling in year to date, 100,000 – 200,000 people are now joining Monese every month. Unlike many of its peers, customers are also using Monese as a primary banking account, with 70% of incoming funds being salary payments.