The UK has 1.6 million women entrepreneurs that are self employed
The money.co.uk business loans team has taken a deep dive into data to reveal the state of women’s entrepreneurship in the UK, from the number of self-employed women to the UK’s women in business hotspots.
Key research findings:
- There are currently around 1.6 million self-employed women in the UK, which accounts for about 1 in 10 women.
- The South West region has the highest percentage of self-employed women at 12.6%.
- The industries with the most women leaders include health, well-being, and social care, with 40.4% of its 210,557 companies being women-led.
- On average, women-led companies have assets of $128bn, compared to those led by men, which have average assets of $55bn.
- According to a UK survey, 64% of women have considered starting their own businesses, highlighting a robust entrepreneurial spirit.
The UK regions that have the most self-employed women:
|Rank||Region||Total women in work||Women in work who are self-employed||Women in work who are self-employed (%)|
|10||Yorkshire and The Humber||1,242,000||92,000||7.4%|
- The South West tops the chart, with 12.6% of women in work being self-employed. This is a total of 168,100 self-employed women out of 1,333,300 women in employment.
- London comes in second place with 277,700 self-employed women, representing 12.4% of the 2,236,100 women in work in the city.
The research also revealed the industries which have the most self-employed women:
|Rank||Industry||Total women in work||Self-employed women||Self-employed women (%)|
|1||Building Finishing Trades||4,200||4,100||97.6%|
|2||Bed and Breakfast and Guest House Owners and Proprietors||5,700||4,700||82.5%|
|3||Agricultural and Related Trades||56,100||42,800||76.3%|
|4||Managers and Proprietors in Agriculture Related Services||10,200||7,200||70.6%|
|5||Textiles and Garments Trades||22,000||15,100||68.6%|
|6||Artistic, Literary and Media Occupations||189,000||123,100||65.1%|
|7||Metal Forming, Welding and Related Trades||1,900||1,200||63.2%|
|8||Hairdressers and Related Services||191,300||117,000||61.2%|
|9||Other Skilled Trades||41,100||24,000||58.4%|
|10||Animal Care and Control Services||82,900||47,300||57.1%|
- The industry with the highest percentage of self-employed women is building finishing trades, with 97.6%. This sector within the construction industry includes roles such as plasterers, painters and decorators, tilers, carpet layers, and glaziers.
- In second place are those who own and run B&Bs and guest houses, with 82.5% of women in these fields being self-employed. The flexibility that comes with these businesses means they lend themselves to self-employment.